There are a lot of different dating experts that will tell you to keep something out of the ordinary on you. That way it’s easy for someone to point out whatever that object might be and start a conversation with you. As you’ve read here before, talking to girls you don’t already know is a great way to build your confidence around women and even meet someone you end up dating. But if you’re having trouble starting the conversation on your own maybe a foreign object is just the boost you need.
Try out some variation of our examples below, but keep in mind these basic guidelines:
- Nothing will magically draw hot girls towards you. You can’t wear a killer amulet around your neck and stand in your front yard and expect a swarm of girls like Justin Bieber just checked in on foursquare at your front door. If you’re not going beyond your comfort zone and putting yourself in new places with girls your age that you might be attracted to you can’t expect much to happen for you.
- If you catch someone noticing make a comment. Just because this is a tool to help you start conversations doesn’t mean other girls are always going to start the conversation for you. If they’re staring at whatever it is you’ve got even a “Yeah… I know,” can grease the wheels and get your convo rolling.
- Smile and say something nice about them (this is called flirting). If you want this to go anywhere you’re going to have to show her you think she’s interesting as well. If you don’t do this she’ll get the vibe that you’re kind of just an attention hog.
- Switch it up. If you use something to get looks one day, try not to use it all the time. You don’t want to get some weird reputation.
So what sort of objects might draw enough attention to start an exchange with someone attractive?
- Food: In the summer time a watermelon (whether you’ve already sliced it or are carrying it whole) will always make someone’s mouth water. Usually enough for them to mention it. While out with friends last week eating a cucumber raw (in the same manner you’d eat a banana) there was basically no one who didn’t want to comment. I met one of my most serious girlfriends by sneaking snacks into movie screenings we had to go to for a class. Obviously the old phrase “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach,” works for women as well. So give it a shot.
- Something unwieldy: When someone is carrying something bulky it makes them look a little goofy. Goofy enough to giggle, draw a stare, or maybe even make a comment. I have started meaningful conversations with arms full of oars, hands full of lamps, or while lugging an old mannequin up a hill (most of these were things my job was going to throw away). If you’ve got something really out of the ordinary someone is likely to say something. They want to know the story behind it. Take advantage of these situations and say something back.
- Something funny: If you’ve got enough swagger you might be able to rock something really out there like a funny kids backpack (I’ve seen it done in the past). A good friend would attend every dance with a seriously ugly tie with the words LOVE all over it. He didn’t take it seriously so it was a lot of fun when he could get girls to laugh about it. The only trouble is that in high school these sort of things can get you just as much negative attention as positive. Just think twice before you go sporting a funny animal hat with ears so you can talk to a pretty stranger.